Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Of Comments and Communication: Shout it Out!


For every blogger out there that lauches a professional career from their hobby, there are probably 10,000 that write for the sheet pleasure of it, their only gratification being the hits they get on their sites and the feedback of the community, so where does that leave the reader, and is there a responsibility to post comments? Step past the cut for a discussoon on blogs, comments, communities, and keeping a blogger posting.

After three years of running this blog I am starting to wonder how many readers I actually have out there, I mean in three whole years I have never recieved a single comment on any post on this site. Kinda makes a guy want to give up. I mean I never started this thing with the intention of getting 2000 comments a day or something like that, but when you make the effort to write an article and you never see feedback, it does start wearing on you a bit.

Now, don't take that last paragraph as me saying that "Its F***ing over! I am never going to write for these Mother F***ers ever again!" Thats a level of nerd rage that I am not going to apply to something like this, I was told that it can take an established blog that posts everyday nearly three years before they see consistent comments, and as you are all well aware, I don't post even remotely that often, you are lucky to get five posts a month out of me [But thats something I do intend on changing, more on that in a later post today] so I am not going  to sit here and say I have done everything I could have to get people more interested, and I am going to do more, but the larger question I have to the audience is this, if you like something why not say it?!

Take my original Dollfie article as an example, I have had more hits on that single article than all the others on this site combined, it was actually at the time a throw away article on something I had found on the web that I had never heard of before, and before I knew it the blog hits for that article exploded, but never one comment, never a "Hey this is cool could you write more?" or anything, its why even though I think that the Dollfie community is a pretty cool one that I haven't written a ton more, because I haven't actually been sure how popular the article is.

Readers take for granted that we know how much people love our articles, trust me when I say we don't, no matter how many hits there is no clear indication that someone loves something other than they punched in a search term and it came up as a result. We need to hear your feedback, even just a couple of lines is all!

Most bloggers that I am friends with write for a niche community, and when they don't get any support from that community it makes it hard for them to continue. Now I am not saying for a moment that the community is responsible if a blog goes under, there are a lot of poorly written nerd rage opinion sites out there that should never have gotten off the ground to begin with, but there are a lot of folks that just lose interest when they feel no one cares what they are writing about.

Shout it out to the world, let us know you love our articles, I guarantee you won't be disappointed if you do.

2 comments:

Jaquelinne said...

I follow your blog out of support for you, not for the blog as a product. This is because your blog rarely has anything to say, other than "oops, sorry I didn't post the way I said I would." So here we go, keeping it real, yo.

First point of advice? NEVER publish your intention to post in the off chance you will break that schedule. It makes you look like a herp derp.

Second? If you want this to take off, post at least once a week, and always include a picture of some sort. Blogging law. Or something.

Third? Follow a ton of other blogs and comment on theirs to generate interest in you within the community.

Also, this may come across as snotty but it's honestly me sharing what I have learned through personal experience. Good luck!

Grifon said...

Thanks for the advice Crystal, I honestly have to admit that I am still learning the ropes with this thing, a lot that I hadn't thought about before comes up everyday.

I can see where you apply those rules to your own writing. Will work on doing those same things here.

I appreciate the feedback!