Monday, April 14, 2008

Things that are old are new again!

"Follow your passion, you never know what will be waiting for you..."
-Anonymous-

Sometimes you have to get away from something before you understand the impact that it has upon you. Anime and Manga have been like that for me.

I got into this stuff when I was a kid watching Starblazers and Robotech, loving all of it, but no really knowing what it was all about. As I got older I started to learn more and more about the culture and phenomenon. From the early days of Animego and Viz, when tapes would cost in the $50 plus range. I was also part of an Anime club that was responsible for a huge amount of the North American Anime fansubbing work. I had the pleasure of going to Japan a number of times and being able to feed my addiction.

Then it was gone almost overnight...

I grew up a bit, I went to college, got a real job [or 4] got married and divorced, and while my then wife was into it as well, I didn't really find my way back. Then when I got divorced and found that I had my own child coming, something woke up in me and I realized that something had been missing. I missed the Anime and Manga, I didn't care that I was pushing 30, I didn't care that some it had passed me by. I just picked up and started again.

But this time there was a change...

I had worked in the graphic design industry for awhile and had developed my art talent a lot further than I thought I would ever be able to. I also was introduced [again ] to the webcomic Megatokyo and found real insipration in what Fred Gallagher and his wife had accomplished. I knew that eventually I wanted to do a webcomic and see my own character designs come to life.

So why the blog?

I wanted somewhere that I could post my art for the comic and track its progress, as well as do reviews and such on the Manga and Anime I was watching. So here we are, I really hope that you will enjoy your time here, and let me know what you think, I am always willing to meet new people and share thoughts and ideas!

No comments: